Monday, September 06, 2010

Three upcoming events

Here are 3 upcoming events that you might like to know about:

Sunday, Sept. 19 and 26, at St. Luke's, Mountain Brook, at 4 pm. I'm giving 2 lectures on the Evangelical Revival of the 18th and 19th centuries and Anglicanism. Did you know that the only Episcopalians who spoke out against slavery were the evangelicals? Come to my lectures and find out why.

Thursday, Oct. 21, at the Birmingham Public Library, at 7.30 pm. I'm giving a piano recital that I'm calling "Scenes from Childhood." Here's the program:

Mozart - Variations on Ah! Vous Dirais-je maman (better known as "Twinkle, twinkle...")
Schumann- Scenes from Childhood, Op. 15
Margaret Bonds - Troubled Water
Liszt - Waldesrauschen
Shostakovich- Selections from his Preludes, Op. 34
Chopin - Ballade in A flat, Op. 47

Sunday, Oct. 24, at the Culural Arts Center, Gadsden, AL, at 4 pm. I'm repeating the recital as a benefit for Christ Episcopal Church in Albertville. Last April, a tornado virtually destroyed Christ Church. My concert in Gadsden is free but people will be asked to make a contribution of at least $25 to the Christ Church building fund.